Tuesday, March 11, 2014

We're Still Working!!

I'm playing a bit of catch up after the time I spent early last week at the transition conference, but BOY! Did I learn a lot!  The conference was exciting and overwhelming, and I cannot wait to share everything I learned with you.  

I will recap some of the fun we had last week, and then follow up with some great new info I received at the conference.

Last week, we had our LAST week at our first community job site... Here is one of our groups at the humane society.



We had a VERY special visitor, Jerodis, Hope's brother, came for a visit.  We loved getting an opportunity to talk to him before he head to Denver to play with the Broncos!



We also will be working closely with Mrs. Ellzey's psychology class this semester.  We will be working with them to improve our social skills and practice social appropriateness with our peers.  We enjoyed meeting our new friends!


Our BIGGEST news of the week is that we will be participating in a fundraiser.  Fox's Pizza has invited us to be their servers for the day.  We would love for you to join us for a pizza celebration as we practice our food service skills!


Like I said before, I learned SO(OOOOOO) much at the Alabama Transition Conference, and I am so glad I was able to attend.  One topic several of the speakers focused on was teaching our students SOFT SKILLS for when they are employed.  These soft skills will set our students apart when applying for jobs.  SO, for the next five weeks we will be focusing on acquiring five of these desirable traits.  This week is WEEK ONE of the study.  I will be working on having a positive attitude.  We will be defining positive and negative attitudes, discuss why it is important, and do TONS of role playing on this topic.  I know it will be a great week!

As always, thank you for your continued support of our classroom.  I love to see that we have more readers every day!

Mrs. McKee

No comments:

Post a Comment